Thursday, August 16, 2012

About minimalism

Have you ever wondered how it would feel to own nothing and be free to roam the world and discover new countries, new cultures, new customs? If you owned nothing, you could go wherever you want without having to worry about packing and you would be free... free as a bird...

If that is what minimalism represents for most people, I am convinced that there is more to it than just extreme minimalism (people who, for instance, own 100 things or less). There is moderate minimalism, i.e., the lifestyle of people who own just the right amount of stuff for their lifestyle. Not too much, not too little, just the right amount. That means you don't have extra/unnecessary things.

And here comes the hard part: what is necessary and what isn't? We all have items that have sentimental value, or that we can't get rid of for whatever reason. That's fine as long as the stuff doesn't make you choke.

When I started reading minimalists' blogs, I was really inspired by their lifestyle, and I wanted to feel as free as they were. After all, I too, have lived in several countries around the world and I too love traveling. But most importantly, my stuff makes me choke. It suffocates me to the point that sometimes I want to burn everything.

When I told my husband about it, he said I shouldn't try to emulate somebody's lifestyle if what I was really inspired by was their personality, but I am convinced that both go hand in hand. By trying out minimalism, I want to see if I can feel as free and happy as other minimalists claim to be.

What are your thoughts on minimalism and why people become minimalists?

No comments:

Post a Comment