Monday, July 25, 2016

Minimalism and idle time?

Hi guys,

I haven't posted in such a long time! Today I would like to talk about how my search for minimalism (and somewhat of a higher purpose) is going a few years on.

I came to the realization that --at least for me-- minimalism was another way to prep for the future. Less stuff means less to carry when you move. Lighter means freer. But what struck me the most is
this: I started ice-skating last year and have been going at least 6-10 hours a week all winter. Not once did I think of minimalism. I was feeling fine on all fronts, my fatigue levels were down, my energy levels were up, and all things considered, life was good. Not once did I have an urge to purge my closet or worry about what things I had in the house.

Then came summer... DUN DUN DUN! I haven't found a sport that I love as much as ice skating, so for the time being, although I make do with other physical activity, I am waiting for the rink to reopen. It turns out that 10 hours a week is a lot of time to kill when you don't have a passion to pursue, and without realizing it, I have started looking up information about minimalism again. Even came across this incredible book by Japanese author Fumio Sasaki. Guess I have a lot of time left to read the book over twice then declutter some more!!

So my question is this: is minimalism the way to happiness, or is it the other way around? Or are we just day-dreaming because we have some idle time to kill?

Let me know in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment